Friday, April 11, 2014

Cherry Blossom Festival in DC


It seems to me, that one of the quintessential DC outings involves cherry blossoms.  Who am I to mess with quintessence? 

 

 About a month ago, I heard on the radio that the peak of the cherry blossom bloom was going to be this week.  Mike and the boys were less excited about going, so I invited my friend Kristen and her girls to come with Judith and me. 


 Kristen and I both were expecting more pink and less white.  I'm not sure if they were more pink when they first started blooming or if the weather has an influence on their hue that varies by year?  There were a few trees here and there that were more pink, but mostly the blooms were white. 


 A peak through the blossoms at the Washington Monument.


  The Jefferson Memorial is my favorite Washington memorial/monument.  Since it is located prominently on the tidal basin and we had neglected to visit it during our month of living in DC, it was definitely on our modest itinerary. 


 A quick picture in Kristen's yard before we left.



 Despite the large crowd, we were able to find parking fairly close.  We walked just a few minutes and found a spot on the grass near the Jefferson Memorial to enjoy our picnic.  Did I mention that the weather was gorgeous?


 A Judith pose.


 Kristen, Harlee, and Brooklee.




Despite the crowd, and keeping track of 3 busy girls, we were really glad we went!  The cherry blossoms are overwhelming and so very beautiful. 

No comments: