Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Mike and I attended the baptism of Canaan Matthew Dowling this weekend. The Dowlings are our friends and fellow Cavassans (we all live in Cavasso Nuovo). We were happy to attend to show our love and support, but it was also a really neat experience for us. The service was in Cavasso's church here in town. We should have made the 10 minute walk, but since we were running a little late, we drove. However, when we made the walk up the hill to the church from where we parked, I realized that that hike alone would be sufficient as my exercise for the day.
The service was in Italian. Somehow, a child's Catholic baptism seems more authentic if it takes place in Italy, in a small-town church, and in Italian. Kind of like if one were to be baptized in the Jordan river. I'm well aware that there's no fundamental differences, but I just think there's just something special about it. I know, I'm ridiculous.
The first picture is Canaan with Ron and Dorit. Dorit is our (Allison and Dowling) realator and one of our first friends in Italy.
Next is the Priest that performed the ceremony next to the baptismal. Dowling family (Jerry, Shelly, McKenna, Jack, Quinton, and Canann) and the Godmother (Barbara--their Italian babysitter and friend) and her family.
Anyway, we were happy to take part and happy to eat all the great food at the Dowlings afterward.
This is a picture of me and an update on belly status. I know it's dark, but I hope you can also appreciate the bright yellow fall foliage behind me. Fall has officially arrived in Cavasso.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: