Friday, June 09, 2006

Mom and Erin in Florence


Since I've put most of the sights we've visited in Florence on the blog before, I decided not to put the same things again. The first picture is Piazza Reppublica. We stayed with our friends Henry and Michelle and we went through this piazza to almost all of our destinations.
Crossing the streets in Florence was good practice for Mom, as it is always a risk to cross streets in Italy. I say Florence was practice, because crossing streets in Rome is even more lethal. We successfully crossed all streets with all body parts intact.




There is one picture (above right) that is a motorcycle parking lot and the other (underneath it) is a bicycle parking lot. Mom was particularly impressed with these.

I know I've included a picture of this before (Palazzo Vecchio), but I like it. Too, it has other significance now because Mom and I had a Florentine lunch in this piazza in the shadow of the medieval building.


We did visit somewhere I had never been. (Not that in my 2 previous visits I could claim that I saw everything there was to see in Florence...) We went to Santa Croce. This church is undergoing quite a lot of restoration, but there are many famous Florentines buried here. This (left) is the grave of Michelangelo. In addition, we saw the graves of Galileo, Dante, and Marconi (who Mike and I did not know, but Mom said to include him because everyone else would know who he was). Any guesses? No fair doing a google search. If no one guesses correctly, I'll tell you in the next blog or 2.

There were a couple of other pictures that we wanted to include, but due to technical difficulties we were not able to upload them to the computer. That's all for now.

Mom adds:
I'm having a great time! Erin is a masterful tour guide. I ought to be in great physical shape when I get back with all the walking and stairs!! You won't even recognize me! Patty




No comments: