Friday, February 17, 2006

Prima Donna

I had the pleasure of meeting Laura Bush when she stopped at Aviano on her way to the Olympics. She is heading the US Olympic delegation and brought with her former Olympians Dorothy Hamill, Kerri Strug, Hershel Walker, and Debi Thomas. She gave a good speech and then went down the front row of the crowd to sign autographs and take pictures.
I was told that if they would start letting people in at 7:30. However, she wouldn't be there until closer to 10, so be prepared to wait. I have been reading War and Peace and I didn't know if I was going to see anyone I knew, so I brought my book. I did end up finding some ladies that I hang out. We all have husbands in the 603rd. Laura is to the left of me, Angie to the right, and Kendra above. When we were told she would be signing autographs, the book was the only thing I had for her to sign since I had left everything else in the car. So when Mrs. Bush came by, I cleverly thought to say, "Mrs. Bush will you sign my book? I thought that as a librarian you would appreciate signing a good novel." Ha! She was like, "Sure. This is a good one. Where do you want me to sign it?" She opened it to the first page and signed just inside the cover. I said, "I'm a teacher from Texas". She said, "You are? Are you working here on base?" To which I had to reply, "No ma'am. DODDS isn't hiring right now". Lame right? But truthful. I just felt like a bum for not having gainful employment. Then Angie handed her camera to an aid and we had our picture taken. I think the picture looks fake. It looks like I just pasted my head in between two people in the crowd. But no, it's really me.
Mrs. Bush was followed by the Olympians who also did pictures and autographs. Above, left is Dorothy Hamill. Below are pictures of Debi Thomas (left), Hershel and Angie (center), and Kerri Strug (right).
Prima Donna means First Lady.


No comments: